The Greater Washington Chapter of the Naval Academy Alumni Association serves the DC and surrounding areas. We meet at local venues, including the Army Navy Country Club, for luncheon meetings and host several special events throughout the year.
The leadership of our Greater Washington Chapter is comprised of a dynamic group of Shipmates – active duty, retired, and civilian across each of the decades since the 60’s – who are proud to serve our institution. Learn more about who’s involved with our Board.
To learn more about the chapter, we would encourage you to explore this website, join the chapter’s Facebook or LinkedIn groups, or read our By-Laws.
Dear Fellow Alumni, Friends and Countrymen,
During the 2016/2017 year, we:
- Hosted a USNA Open House in the fall to educate potential Naval Academy candidates and expose them to the great history and traditions of the naval services. Click Here to read more
- Hosted a handful of luncheons at the Army Navy Country Club to network, share experiences, and hear the latest “gouge” from leaders and influencers. VADM Bill Lescher (‘80), Deputy Chief of Naval Operations for Integration of Capabilities and Resources and the Navy’s top budget officer; and Reuben E. Brigety II (‘95), the Dean of the Elliott School of International Affairs and former United States Ambassador to the African Union and the permanent representative to the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa were only two of our great speakers.
- We hosted a USNA candidate information night in April at the Army Navy Country Club in Arlington for students in seventh thru eleventh grades who may be considering applying to the Naval Academy that attracted hundreds of interested students and parents.
- Dale “Kid” Lumme (our former President and current Trustee) and Chris O’Keefe (a new board member) spoke at the Service Academies Global Summit in mid-June to highlight the importance of service and leadership to our country.
- Approved our updated our By-laws to reflect both the in-person and electronic means by which we connect, emphasize membership engagement through encouraging active volunteering and creating a new Outreach & Engagement Officer, and strengthen our coordination with partners like the Blue & Gold Officers and Parents’ Club members.
We’re meeting as a board in August to plan the 2017/2018 year and recommit to reinvigorating our engagement with you, our members. I’m looking forward to working with you and our great group of board members.
Go Navy and Beat Army!
Just because it’s summer in the D.C. region doesn’t mean that there aren’t some great events taking place over the summer
The USNA Alumni Association Greater Washington Chapter (USNA-AA-GWC) was a co-sponsor of the 2018 Service Academies Global Summit (SAGS) held at the Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel on June 13-15, 2018. Two members of the Chapter Board of Directors, Dale “Kid” Lumme ’80 and Fred Latrash ’87, served on the SAGS Organizing Team.
As part of the SAGS-related activities, USNA-AA-GWC hosted a reception at the nearby offices of Thales Group where approximately 70 Naval Academy alumni and friends gathered for an evening of camaraderie and networking. This gathering also served as the Annual Meeting to provide of USNA alumni members the opportunity to vote for the 2018-2019 Greater Washington Chapter Board of Directors.
Attention current and former Navy Nukes, increase your career and networking opportunities by participating in the second annual Navy Nuclear Power Officer Career Conference in Washington, DC on August 3. Companies and Schools Attending Career Fair include Addx Amazon Blue Origin Boston Consulting Group (BCG) Booz Allen Hamilton Commissioning Agents Defense Nuclear Facilities Safety Board Eaton Google Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory and JP Morgan Chase. Join in for the mentoring and the opportunity to reconnect with other Navy Nukes even if you aren’t currently looking for a career change. More info can be found at nupocc.com.
Our Naval Academy Alumni Yard Dawgs are continuing to make us proud. Go out and support one of their casual games or cheer them on at the annual tournament Aug 11-12 (tickets required) and Aug 18th (no cost.) For more info on the August 11-12th games, please contact Jenni Washburn
Keep your eyes out for information coming in the fall to support our annual candidate event and the Navy-hosted Army-Navy Pep Rally.
Keep in touch with old shipmates. Meet new ones. If you wish to make a corporate donation please email email@example.com for directions